Transportation is always an issue in
Namibia since hitch hiking is basically the only way to get around the country.
I haven’t traveled around anywhere except for work, so I’ve been fortunate enough to be driven by government drivers so far (since I was traveling for work).
For example, I sometimes get driven to one of the Health Centers in Kamanjab (a nearby town) to see the HIV/AIDS patients in that area (I am basically the only person who actually follows up on these patients).
I have hitch hiked only once by myself and thought it was an interesting experience and its easy to do as long as you are not in a rush (i.e. expect a distance that should be covered in 3 hours to take one day).
But, it can also be unsafe for anyone who is “white” .
I “hiked” (as they call it) from Outjo to
Windhoek in January and wasn’t too impressed when I was the last passenger on board and the co-pilot (the 2 men took turns driving) tried to convince the driver not to drop me off.
Thankfully the driver was a decent person, and didn’t listen.
So, I have now bought a car!! A used 2000 Toyota corolla that I hope will last through the many journeys I want to take throughout Namibia and Africa. I hope/think traveling will not only be a lot more convenient for me, but more importantly, safer. I just have to get used to driving on the left side of the road, and always being on the look-out for animals (since they commonly cross/block the road). And I’m not talking about little squirrels or ducks, I mean large animals that would total a car like giraffes, kudu (like deer), baboons, etc. Let my African Adventure Begin! Woohoo!
3 comments:
LOL! YAY this is so great! I was a little uneasy about you hitchhiking around the country (ok A LOT uneasy!) so this makes at least ME feel a little better :P Who care about you :P
Haha, seriously though great accomplishment and it only took you 6 months! (canadian time that is only like 3 minutes, so bravo!)
Congrats on your car purchase! I think we both bought ours the same day. haha Anything to keep my big sister safe is a great investment. Way to go! I'm guessing its an automatic? If not then I hope my driving lessons help a bit.
its an automatic alright. Its hard enough for me to drive on the left (still haven't figured out how to turn right at a light, or go around a round-about) without having to shift gears too. Decided to be lazy but will definitely buy a standard car one day.
Post a Comment