Sunday, February 24, 2008

Truth, as Ghada sees it

First, some housekeeping:

If everyone who writes an anonymous comment can please add their name at the bottom, it would make reading them that much more enjoyable for me.

I now have a postal address (well, I'm sharing it with another volunteer). Anything that can provide entertainment (since its not safe for me to go out at night, it can get insanely boring in the evenings) would be wonderful. DVDs, CDs, whatever is light to mail :) Please let me know if you would like to have the address, just email me at ghadaworld@gmail.com

Things Ghada has accepted as truth, in Namibia:


That cockroaches, spiders and mosquitos can teleport. There is no other way to explain how cockroaches can get inside my oven and fridge, or how spiders and mosquitos can get through a screen-covered window.


Fat is good. Fat on women, fat on meat, fat cakes (a delicious baked goody). Fat is always good, wherever it is.

Being topless in public or completely naked indoors is normal.

Monogamy is always optional.

Never underestimate the power of a smile, it has gotten me out of a few sticky situations :)

I will never understand half of what goes on around me, due to the language differences. Which is ok. But, it sadly also means that I will always miss out on at least 1 good joke, each day.

Stray dogs roaming hospital corridors are ok.

Stray children roaming hospital corridors are ok.

If it sounds like a snake, moves like a snake, it is a snake.

I am THE human barometer. Migraine=approaching rainstorm.

A 3 hour journey will always take at least 8 hours and involve many stops. The hospital transport (i.e. the hospital driver) can not drive to Windhoek without stopping at: the pathology lab for samples/results, the meat shop, the local bottle store (i.e. beer store) to meet a friend, at least 3 gas stations, the neighbouring hospital, Fruit and Veg City, Spar (a grocery store), and a myriad other errands.

I will never be able to make the sound of all 4 clicks in DamaraNama :( (the most common local language)

Car salesmen are sleazy the world over. Banks are troublesome the world over.

And, Ghada has a lot more truths to discover about Namibia

Ciao,

Ghada

1 comment:

Persephone said...

I dunno Ghada, most of these truths sound pretty good to me! Fat=good, naked=good, promiscuity=good...sign me up! LOL