Monday, November 5, 2007

Arriving in Outjo

Hello all,
So, no time for grammar or spelling corrections, I have 10 minutes to pound out this post.
I am learning a lot from Namibia, especially how to have patience. I was supposed to have a driver come and pick me up from Windhoek to take me to my placement in Outjo. The driver ended up being 4 hrs late, and they still expected me to be waiting there, and were upset with me when I fianlly met them in Outjo. VSO drove me to Otjiwarango and we waited for 1 hr while a MoHSS (ministry of health and socail services) driver came to get me to take me from there to Outjo. The driver tried to give me a traditional handshake, which involves 3 parts, but I had no idea what I was doing! I know have the hang of it though! The driver came with the hospital controller and we proceeded to complete errands arond town in Otjiwarango for 2 hrs. It is a big deal for them to go to Otjiwarango since it is the closest big town to Outjo, so there was a lot to do: shopping, visiting the income tax office, visiting the government supply stores, etc. I didn't mind, I was not in a rush to start work! I arrived in Outjo and was greeted very nicely. There is only one pharmacy assistant in the hospital, and she is clearly overworked. They put a welcome sign on the door to my flat, and put flowers from the garden on my table. Ok, lots more to tell, but no time, so will try to post more another day. take care everyone!

1 comment:

Deanna said...

Hi Ghada,
We, your buddies at Classic Care all miss you. We now know that you will do ANYTHING to get out of Dispill!
So you have already been to a gospel service and danced with the locals! Good for you. I guess I was right about them having a festival in your honour! What did you have to eat??? I bet I know!
There you are, having the experience of your life, and I am here,just as you suspected, painting and renovating as usual.
Watchout for those snakes and be safe. Have fun as well. Catch you later.
Deanna