Monday, April 7, 2008

VSO Global Education Weekend in Gobabis – Learning about the San people.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/14582322@N06/

Some background on the San:

The San people or the “African bushmen” are traditionally hunter-gatherers and once roamed over much of Africa. Today, they are only found in Namibia and Botswana. Some linguists even claim that the San invented human language. Interestingly, the San do not consider themselves “black” or “white” but simply San people, and refer to the other tribes of Namibia as “blacks” . The San people face many challenges. They have been moved off of their traditional lands and are not allowed to hunt, yet they lack the skills to grow food or enter the modern workforce. Their language is facing extinction and they are ALL living in extreme poverty. EVERY single San I saw looked malnourished and thin. Their primary complaint when you talk to them, is that they are hungry. As well, the San people are typically sweet-natured and avoid conflict. Unfortunately, their complacent nature has meant that both historically and until today, it has been easy for other people/tribes to exploit them.

The trip was spent with other VSO volunteers working in Namibia, from all over the world (England, India, Uganda, Netherlands, etc.) and from all different age ranges. It was fantastic to meet other cool VSO volunteers (finally!) and get different perspectives on life here. The pictures in the link above really do tell the story, but just some highlights:

-Camped at a San campsite (my first African camping experience!), where the local women helped us prepare dinner (with no English being spoken by them)

-Saturday morning we went for a bushwalk guided by 2 San elders. They were very knowledgeable about the local plants and animals and it was sad to realize how much knowledge has been lost, and how much more will be lost.

-We visited the Kalahari Garden Project. This is run by a young English woman who raised money and support to help the San learn to garden and grow food, in an attempt to alleviate hunger. It was overall a great weekend, but also very sad to learn about the hardships the San are suffering.

-Saw a performance of traditional San dancing and music by a professional dance troupe made up of the members of one family! It was excellent.

-Camped at Sand Dune Lodge. I realize I am a chicken, but I admit to being nervous about sleeping in a tent on land where cheetahs and other carnivores live. Especially when I noticed the large steel Jurassic Park fence that kept us and the animals(!) confined and separate from the main lodge where the owner and staff lived. I expected to see a veloci-raptor at any moment. I’m still not entirely comfortable with the concept that there is never a fence separating me from wild animals.

-Saw a dance and choir by local San children at the school. Excellent.

-Made a friend with some local San children. I let one take pictures with my camera (they LOVE being in or taking pictures here). Actually, playing with the San children was the best part of the weekend for me :)

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Tried calling you today. U weren't home and the cell wasn't working. I'll try you again soon. xoxo sis

Persephone said...

wow...sounds amazing :)