I have met all the HIV patients in Outjo in my capacity as Pharmacist, and now recognize a lot of them (especially the children). So, how should I handle it if a colleague or friend starts to date someone who I know is HIV positive (note that HIV/AIDS is quite common here i.e. 1 out of 3 people have it)? Should I tell the friend/colleague about the other person’s HIV status? Keeping in mind that we try to ensure that patients with HIV/AIDS are treated in a confidential manner. There is a huge social stigma attached to HIV/AIDS here, so many people don’t’ want others to know. I have my own opinion on this ethical dilemma, but would appreciate your comments on what YOU think would be appropriate.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
5 comments:
This is a tough one GDot. I don't think it is up to you to break confidentiality, but then again, hello, you could be saving a life! The question is, if the person knew, would it change their behaviour (i.e. would they use protection, or break up with the person?). What about approaching your HIV+ patient and delicately discussing the issue of how important it is that THEY let their partner know their HIV status and fully educating him/her on prevention? What are your thoughts?
Choice is to keep a confidence or perhaps prevent an avoidable death. If the person they are dating hasn't told them then that person isn't honest and doesn't deserve to date your friend. Tell. You'd regret not telling later more and so would she. I think just a hint in this case about being more careful and using condoms does not cover it in this case. We're talking about seriously affecting someone's life.
Lata Sis
You must tell them.
Do you discuss this issue with the people who have HIV?
Maybe that is a task for the social worker, if there are any over there. If there aren't, then maybe it is your task. Ask them if they think they should tell others?...Do they tell? Do they think they have the right to know if someone else they will date has a communicable disease...
hmmm...
Tell.
Thanks so much for your insightful comments. It gave me a wider perspective, though I am still not sure what IS right. And, perhaps there is no right answer.
Post a Comment